Adjust Recipes to Meet Your Needs
Tempted to skip over a recipe because of one ingredient? Just use something else! Our friends at Cooking Matters have come up with an easy to follow guide to help you learn how to recipes work for you.
Make changes to recipes based on:
- Foods you have on hand, including leftovers
- What’s in season
- Your family’s tastes
- Ingredients on sale
- The amount of time you have free to cook
- Healthier cooking methods
If your recipe calls for a food that is too pricey, hard to find, or that you simply don’t care for, try subbing in another.
Try using substition methods with some of these delicious fall recipes:
- Fall Vegetable Salad
- Fruit Salad
- Pasta with Roasted Vegetables
- Herb Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
- Vegetable Lasagna
- Mango Salsa (pro tip: sub in fresh local peaches for mangoes when in season!)
The new Cooking Matters app for Android makes it simple to feed your family healthy foods, on any budget! Visit CookingMatters.org/app to plan meals with the touch of a button.
Exploring Food Together is a Cooking Matters toolkit of simple activities that adults can use to help kids learn about new foods and start building the skills to make healthy food choices.