Getting Kids Involved in Shopping
Make Your Shopping Trip Fun for Your Kids!
Ever wondered how to make grocery shopping fun for your kids? Our friends at Cooking Matters came up with the following pro-tips help get your kids involved in shopping!
Before you go shopping:
- Let kids draw pictures of the foods on your shopping list
- Ask kids to help you decide between healthy options (apples vs. pears)
- Give your child a small, healthy snack before shopping
- Avoid shopping at naptime
- Let your kids be “produce pickers”; help them pick out fruits and veggies
- Have your child help you search for the foods on your list; the child can cross them off as you add them to your basket
- Ask your child to count the number of items you need
- Talk about the color, shape, and size of items you must buy
- Ask your child which plant or animal each food comes from, what sound the animal makes, and what the plant or animal looks like
Back at home:
- Have your child help you put groceries away
- Discuss why certain foods are stored in the freezer, refrigerator, or pantry
- At mealtime, remind kids how they helped you find the foods you are eating
- Ask kids what they like about the color, texture, or shape of the foods
Watch this Cooking Matters video to learn how to save more money on fruits and vegetables!
The new Cooking Matters app for Android makes it simple to feed your family healthy foods, on any budget! Visit CookingMatters.org/app to plan meals with the touch of a button.
Exploring Food Together is a Cooking Matters toolkit of simple activities that adults can use to help kids learn about new foods and start building the skills to make healthy food choices.