Shopping Tips for Shopping Trips
This month our friends at Cooking Matters want to help you make the most of your family’s food dollars. Use the following strategies before, while, and after you shop to make every penny count.
- Know your budget
- Check what you have on hand – in your pantry, in the fridge, and in storage
- Clip coupons and check store specials
- Plan meals/menus – consider using Recipe Frameworks to plan meals that appeal to your family’s tastes and use up what you already have in your kitchen
- Create a shopping list – write it down, or use the Cooking Matters app (for Android)
- Eat something! Whenever possible, don’t shop hungry
- Stick to your list
- Compare unit prices to get the best deal
- Buy in bulk – but only when you can store it safely and ensure it won’t go to waste
- Shop the outside aisles of the store for fresh foods
- Collect frozen and perishable items last
- Buy fresh produce when in season
- Check packages for “sell by” and “best if used by” dates
- Refrigerate or freeze perishable items promptly
- Store frozen foods in airtight containers
- Keep freezer temperature at or below 0°F
- Keep refrigerator temperature at or below 40°F
- Congratulate yourself for sticking to your list and making the most of your food dollars!
Watch this Cooking Matters video to learn how to save more money on fruits and vegetables!
The new Cooking Matters app for Android makes it simple to feed your family healthy foods, on any budget! Visit CookingMatters.org/app to plan meals with the touch of a button.
Exploring Food Together is a Cooking Matters toolkit of simple activities that adults can use to help kids learn about new foods and start building the skills to make healthy food choices.