Busy Weeknights? Save Time with these Tips!
Save Time on Busy Week Nights
Our friends at Cooking Matters have come up with a few tips and resources to help you save time on meal preparation during the week! Meal planning can help you save money, and help you and your family eat better. Use these ideas to save time on busy weeknights:
- Organize your kitchen. Know where to find the ingredients and cooking tools you need.
- Read the recipe all the way through at least twice. Make sure you have all the ingredients and supplies you will need.
- Prep all ingredients – such as rinsing and chopping all of the vegetables – before you start cooking. Everything should be ready to use as soon as the recipe calls for it. If you can, prep some ingredients the night before.
Use the Freezer
- Cut up large amounts of onions, carrots, celery, and peppers. Freeze in large, zip-top plastic bags. Use as needed.
- Double the recipe and freeze the extra portion. Serve it later in the month when you don’t have time to cook.
Make Cleanup Easy
- Wipe up spills as they happen.
- Line baking sheets with tin foil. Then use it to cover leftovers.
- Presoak pots, pans, and dishes as soon as they are used.
- Clean as you cook. Don’t save it all for the end.
- Use plastic dishes for easier cleanup and fewer accidents with kids.
- Organize a family cleanup team. Sing when you’re working together.
Looking for healthy recipes your whole family can get excited about? Try these delicious recipes:
The new Cooking Matters app for Android makes it simple to feed your family healthy foods, on any budget! Visit CookingMatters.org/app to plan meals with the touch of a button.
Exploring Food Together is a Cooking Matters toolkit of simple activities that adults can use to help kids learn about new foods and start building the skills to make healthy food choices.